Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Opening Remarks

Well, I finally did it. I started a blog.  I never thought I would.  Mainly because it seems so, well, metropolitan.  But I've been inspired.  Why?  Let me put it like this - Have you ever laid awake with a million thoughts spinning around in your head?  Maybe your body is exhausted, but you can't shut off your brain.  That's me.  A lot.  And sometimes I get great ideas, but they're soon eclipsed by some other thought, and I totally lose track of my great idea.  So mainly I'm hoping that a blog will help me organize my thoughts, so that when I go back and look at them, it'll make more sense.  Some of my friends may be interested in reading my blogs.  That's great.  But there's a few things I want folks to understand.

First, I will be posting on a variety of topics.  I'm involved in a lot of things, so I have lots of thoughts.  There'll be politics, religion, current events, education (my profession), economics, the outdoors (my hobby), culture, and family (my life).  They won't always interest everyone, but that's not really the point.

Second, the main purpose of this blog is for my own personal benefit.  If an experience that I've had causes people to think, or reflect on their own experiences, that's a positive side benefit.  Having said that, I'm sure that some of my posts will stir some controversy.  That's not really my intent either.  So, while I certainly don't mind enlightened discussion or alternative points of view, this is not a debate forum.  If you find yourself getting agitated at the nature of my posts, it may be better to just not read them.

Third, my perspective is partially revealed in the name of my blog.  But perhaps it may be useful to clarify a couple things.  Conservative does not mean that I'd like to roll back the clock to the way things were 10, 50, 100 or 1000 years ago.  It means that I believe in a set of standards that is timeless.  What I'm specifically referring to is a Biblical system of morality, that, while never perfectly implemented, offers guidance on how to respond to issues old and new.  Perhaps as I post new things, it will become clear what I mean.  Also, I am not a Texan by birth, but by choice.  I don't take that lightly.  In many ways I feel like I fit in here more than some native Texans.  I certainly feel at home here, more than anywhere else I've lived.  East Texas is a unique region, with a culture that is more country and southern than it is western.  I think it's important to understand how a person's geography affects their culture.  Living here certainly has changed me, but I think for the better.  But geography does affect how you see things and respond to things.  I like the Texas way of doing things, for the most part.

In closing, if you've read this far, I'm impressed.  Hopefully the rest of my posts will be as interesting to others as they are to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment